jump to navigation

Heat Embossing August 18, 2014

Posted by Danielle in Crafts.
Tags: , ,
3 comments

Here’s the card I finished late last night for the Stretch Your Stamps 2 class.

20140818_165917_resized

For this technique, I started with a layer of cardstock and covered it with about 3 or 4 layers of metallic embossing powder.  Then, I added a dark purple and a blue embossing powder for the letters and numbers.  The embossing powder melted to a pretty flat sheen, but it did warp the cardstock.  I straightened it out, but it cracked in a couple places.  I actually like the cracks, so I bent the cardstock backward in a few more places to get it to crack more.  I matted that onto an eggplant cardstock, both cut from Spellbinders dies, and mounted the entire thing onto a card base from DCWV.

Advertisements

More Inspiration from Card Class September 28, 2011

Posted by Danielle in Crafts.
Tags: , , ,
3 comments

Here’s more work that I’ve managed to do from the Inspiration Showcase class.  I’ve had a little more time to play since I’ve had some time off from working.

Okay, so I’m not overly fond of hearts… I went and did some of the cut outs for the canvas in a scalloped hexagon instead.  This way it has a fighting chance to wind up hanging on a wall instead of gathering dust in a corner.  The blue and white hexagon is a traditional resist technique using clear embossing powder.  I used Versamark ink for the stamp on glossy paper and then heat set the clear embossing powder.  The blue ink is Color Box Chalk Ink.  The next hexagon over is the dreaded acrylic paint resist technique again.  (Yes, I tried it again because I would like to use it on my canvas.)  I’m still not crazy about the technique or the end result… but I used white acrylic paint on regular cardstock.  Then, I used the blending tool to blend Ripe Persimmon and Seedless Preserves Distress Inks onto the piece.  By the way, I love the Limited Edition colors!  The third hexagon is the trapped embossing technique.  I used a sentiment stamp from MSE and Antique Paper Distress ink.  Over that, the heat embossing with clear embossing powder… and then a generous coating of Barn Door Distress Ink over the top.  I like the way this turned out as well.

This is glossy paper covered with Distress Ink (I’m thinking Broken China, but I can’t remember what color I used.), topped with embossed acetate, and then the flower embellishment.  I like how the embossed acetate looks, but I would like to try it with something heavier next time.  The only acetate I had on hand were some old transparency sheets that are used for an overhead projector.  They are pretty flimsy, and the embossing wasn’t exactly what I was looking for.  It is muted, which is a nice effect, but I will try something else next time.  The flower is a plain white one that I ran through the Swiss Dots Cuttlebug folder.  Then I used Worn Lipstick Distress Ink on it, followed by pearlized water.  I think I might have used a little too much water??  The dots didn’t stay as dark as I would have liked.  The gem in the center is from Michaels.  The second piece is the white embossing powder on canvas, followed by Worn Lipstick Distress Ink and pearlized water.  It’s a pretty effect, but I wasn’t totally blown away by it.

Okay, so here’s the faux Letterpress technique from class.  I used a bamboo Cuttlebug folder, and had a rough time with it.  I’m not sure what I need to do to get the ink to stay where I want it!   I will probably have to try using a variety of inks… but I started off using a dye ink just because I thought that it’d be easier to get off the embossing folder.  Maybe I’ll try it with a different type of ink next time.  I just hate the thought of a chalk ink staining my folders!

Look, a finished project using the poppy from Beccy’s Place!